Conversations starting at £35k p.a. // Level 2.1
ASquared is a digital product agency in the heart of Brighton. We’re an agile team of creators, innovators and collaborators creating impactful digital products and services with startups, scaleups and enterprise organisations. We foster a collaborative and inclusive culture where creativity thrives, and every team member has a voice.
We’re looking for a Software Engineer to join our thriving team in the centre of Brighton. You’ll play a pivotal role in conceptualising, contributing and coding amazing experiences across the digital products and services we create with our clients, using your experience and enthusiasm to bring ideas to life.
We’re always looking for fresh thinking and diverse, growth mindsets and we’re committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace. We aim to inspire and support our talents and clients through open, honest discussions and clear actions.
This is a hybrid role (Tuesdays & Fridays in the Brighton office).
Applicants must be located in and eligible to work in the UK. We can’t currently support or sponsor visa applications.
What you’ll bring
- You have a demonstrable and trusted human-centred product development process that sees you owning the development of web and mobile applications, from discovery to release
- You have strong communication skills that allow you to engage with clients and stakeholders in client-facing weekly meetings
- You’re used to working in multidisciplinary, cross-functional teams of design, engineering and project management
- You love working to complex and challenging client briefs using a fast-paced agile approach
What you’ll be doing
- Working closely with other developers and product designers, planning, architecting and coding high-quality mobile or web solutions that are human-centric, high quality and delightful
- Regularly leading development of a project working with other engineers to deliver well thought through technical project solutions and exceed client expectations, delivering on time and budget
- Supporting other engineers through mentoring and coaching, providing feedback and/or leading by example for others to learn from
- Working within cross-functional teams using an Agile development process, contributing to the creation of user journeys and user stories for designers and developers to work from
- Regularly contributing to marketing the agency by writing blog posts and representing ASquared at conferences and meet-up events.
What you’ll need
- 2+ years of experience coding commercial React and/or React Native and/or Flutter applications
- 1+ years experience in writing Typescript code
- Experience working within multidisciplinary, cross-functional teams in an agile environment
- Expert in contributing to Gitlab or Github shared code repositories
- Experience working with other developers on a shared codebase, providing, receiving and acting upon code reviews
- Excellent communication skills, where you can ‘keep it simple’ and make complicated details and problems understandable to a non-technical audience
- Experience working in Figma and working closely with product designers
- Node.js and/or Next.js development experience
- Experience in Mobile app development such as React Native and/or Swift / Objective-C / Kotlin / Java
- Experience of Expo for mobile development and distribution
- Experience with backend as a service solution like Google’s Firebase
- Experience or familiarity with design systems and modular design process
What’s in it for you?
At ASquared, you’ll have the opportunity to work at an incredible, ambitious and humble agency and join an inspiring team. We offer a competitive salary, training, benefits and other well-being perks.
We pride ourselves on a values-led working environment that encourages putting people first with honesty, and curiosity and supported by leadership.
Plus you’ll work towards a design-specific career development framework, meaning you can grow and shape your career with us as you take on new challenges and directions.
We don’t live to work, we work to live. Achieving a good work-life balance is a core company belief. You’ll experience this through our flexible working options (e.g. core hours, hybrid) at our offices in Platf9rm AND our Digital Nomad perk. This allows you to take a change of scenery and work from ANYWHERE in the world for up to a month each year. There are terms to ensure it's safe, practical and legal, but life's for living, so join us and get your imagination out there!
We are a Dog-Friendly Office, so if you come into the office, please bring your pooch for a visit.
- We do really care about our team’s well-being, so we give everyone a wellness allowance of £20 per month to spend on things that will improve their wellness like fitness classes, meditation apps and more.
- Access to Counselling with Spill - our virtual mental health provider
- Flexible hybrid working - We’re not a 9-5. No one will tap their watch if you prefer to start late and finish late because you like to go to the gym before work.
- Our focus is on your ability to deliver for the business, not your ability to keep strict working hours.
- Holiday allowance that increases over time
- Extra Day off for your Birthday
- Christmas Shutdown (to be booked using holiday entitlement)
- Digital Nomad (work anywhere in the world for up to a month a year - subject to restrictions in other countries)
- Enhanced Digital Nomad policy after 3 years of service: Up to £2k for costs directly incurred as a result of working as a Digital Nomad, towards additional or further travel costs (flights, accommodation, car hire, mobile phone usage)
- Employee Referral scheme (refer someone to work with us and you'll be eligible for a £1k referral bonus - subject to conditions)
- GCI (Green Commute Initiative) Bike Scheme
- Professional Development including up to 4 hours per week of paid volunteering with the Matchable volunteering service (prorated for part-timers)
- Monthly Social Events: company lunches, social nights/day events, escape rooms, bowling etc...
- PLATF9RM Membership Perks
ASquared is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. ASquared believes that a diverse and inclusive workforce is crucial to our success as a company and is an asset to the communities we serve.
Conversations start a £35k basic salary (DOE) plus Profit Share based on lead referrals and project delivery.